Article by David Williams
How often do you get a work report or Life Report? I mean those kinds of reports that will rattle the foundation of your existence. I got one few days back. The funny thing was, I knew it was coming but because of self denial and most times laziness I didn’t do anything about it. It felt like a strong wind brushed my face when my boss landed a big one on me, she said “Williams, let me tell you something I have noticed about you. You are willing but the body is weak”. That’s all she needed to say, my mind played out the rest; my inner alarm went off and within a few seconds, It felt like I was going into a subatomic state and my whole life was flashing in front of me. Each word in that sentence landed on me like I was in the ring with Anthony Joshua of course you know who wins in that context. My inner peace was disturbed; I could feel sweat dripping down my forehead even though the Air Conditioner has been on all day. The Air conditioner couldn’t hide my sweat and that was because she told me the truth I have been avoiding to tell myself.
Remember I said I saw it coming, yeah I did. I had neglected my scorecard. After reading the 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork by John C. Maxwell. I adopted the 11th rule – The Law of the Scoreboard. It talked about having a scoreboard to track, adjust and monitor your progress. After adopting that rule I was on fire for months. Checking my scoreboard every night before going to bed. But gradually I begin to relapse till I totally stop checking. That sucker punch from Mrs Tokunbo Fasoro reminded me why I should go back to my scoreboard.
The scoreboard is essential in many ways:
- Understanding: When I adopted the 11th commandment in The 17 indisputable Law of Teamwork I understood what I needed to do on a daily basis to bring me closer to my goal. It was a reminder of what I have done, what to do next or the next action to take to achieve a desired result. Having that understanding gave me a sense of purpose which made me focus. I lost that focus when I stopped checking my scoreboard.
- Evaluation: You need to constantly evaluate your progress at every point in time. Your scoreboard will do that perfectly. Football just like any other game has a scoreboard. You don’t have to watch the game to know how the match is going. The scoreboard gives you all the necessary information you need. If you walk into the game at stoppage time you can get all the information on how the game went on the scoreboard.
- Decision Making: The quality of the decision we make determines the quality of our lives. Your scoreboard shows you where you are most effective and where you are lagging behind. It shows you where you need to make a drastic decision. Pin point where you need to improve or change.
- Adjusting: Knowing when it’s time to make a decision affects how fast we are able to adjust. I consider this the hard part for me because you can go through 1 – 3 without making necessary adjustment to get you to 5. In my case, I knew what my scoreboard was like. In fact I had decided to make necessary adjustment but I never did until I got sucker punched.
- Success: “In the end, nobody can win without a scoreboard… John C. Maxwell”. No one can achieve anything without a plan, understanding what the plan is. Constant evaluation of the decisions you make results to the adjustment you make to achieve your goal. Therefore no one can jump from 1 to 5.
Of course I laughed when I got that report but the message had been passed. Feeling bad or having a mood swing wasn’t even an option – some people reverse to a state of self denial and give several excuses. It was a call to action for me. A call to stop procrastinating and doing what is necessary to get the job done. A call to stop been lazy and telling myself am nocturnal by nature. Don’t wait till something bad happens before you make that plan and get that scoreboard.