Shortly after graduation, I got my first job. I found it difficult blending into workplace, especially when I was just coming from an academic environment, the job was in Lagos Nigeria which was also a new environment for me and I had to learn a whole lot by myself.
I took some time to study my environment, and I made a friend who had worked in the organization for about 10yrs, I could ask him over 10 questions a day. He was a very pleasant person, always happy to respond and put me through. Being a fast learner, the questions began to reduce in number and gradually became none, by then I had fully blended and had began to perform, at the end of the year, I was awarded the staff of the year. Here are a few tips that will help you speed up your blending process
- Ask questions: It’s a new job; of course you need to understand your environment and the culture of the organization. Aside onboarding and orientation, it is important you ask questions when you are not sure of what to do. I am sure there would be people around that will be happy to help.
- Know when to ask questions: That is where emotional intelligence comes in, you cannot just keep asking questions, you need to study the timing, mood and ensure you are asking in the right environment so you don’t strike people as dull or irritate them with your questions.
- Ensure you ask intelligent questions: When some people ask questions in workplace, you wonder if they actually graduated from school, ask only when the only option you have is to ask. There are times you can visit “Google for dummies” as long as you get an answer for your questions.
- Learn to manage diversity in workplace. You can have a mixture of the two generations in the same place; you need to understand that the manners of communicating with the two generations are completely different, make it a point to observe how the millennial, Generation Y, and baby boomer generation interact in a professional setting.
- Ask for feedback: It is important that if you don’t get feedback, you solicit for it. It is good to know how you are doing on the job, so you can know where to put effort.
- Be confident enough to make contributions: Do not think that only your superiors can bring up good ideas, be confident enough to initiate ideas. Who knows, that idea may just take the company to the next level and remember, do not give up on initiating ideas even if your idea was ignored.
- Follow all office rules: Avoid breaking rules like leaving the office without telling your boss, leaving the office before closing hours, chewing gum aloud etc.
I hope these few tips will speed up your blending process in your new work place, all the best. Please do share and empower your friends on social media. Thank you.