A must read for aspiring Entrepreneurs!!!
While growing up, I realized that I wanted to be an entrepreneur. I did research on successful entrepreneurs who were in my line of business and I began to learn from them. I watched them closely; attended meetings where I could hear them speak. For those who had authored books, I tried as much as possible to read and learn from them. No one can know it all, we all learn from other people, especially people who have gone ahead of us.
Here are a few tips I learnt from my mentors that have been of great help in my entrepreneurship journey.
- Push yourself – Keep learning. Try things you have never tried before.
- Ensure that your business is your passion – Do work that you totally believe in and would do for free.
- Get over your fears and just do it– You can never really know the outcome until you try it.
- Be positive – Always believe that if you can think it, you can do it. Click here to read more on if you can think it you can do it
- Have a vision – Ensure your vision is clear, written out and pursued.
- Focus – Avoid distractions. They just may totally take you away from your vision and get you lost.
- Stick with people you aspire to be like – Research them, study them, find opportunities to spend time with them.
- Be action oriented– The world is full of great ideas, but success happens only though actions.
- Build a great team – No man can live in isolation, even the lone ranger has a horse. Recruit for character and values other than competence, because you cannot teach character, but you can always train someone to be competent.
- Plan to raise capital.
- Set goals and be focused- Ensure your goals are SMART, Specific, Measurable, achievable, Realistic and Time bound.
- Identify your market, industry and your competitors – This is very important, it will help you benchmark and strategize to work differently and succeed
- Always seek for feedback – Feedback is important, be it negative or positive. This can guide you on how to do things better in future. Positive feedback can be motivating and would also encourage you to do more next time.
- You are only as good as your last job – Ensure you do your work excellently; one bad job can spoil the other good ones.
Have you learned a thing or two or would you like to share a lesson you also have learned from a mentor or on the job with us? We will be happy to know.
Thank you for reading.